Thursday, November 1, 2012

Photographers Assignment

Five Photographers I Like

John Dominis
 1968 Olympics Black Power Salute 
Growing up in Detroit Michigan I have always been intrigued by the civil rights movements of the 18-1900s. In elementary school I was fascinated by the stories of Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad, Rosa Parks, and Martin Luther King. In middle school I studied the lives of Malcolm X and Emmett Till. Even after moving away from Detroit my interest continued to grow. In high school I studied the Black Panther movement and the desegregation of schools in the late 60's. I enjoyed movies like "Remember the Titans" and "Glory Road" which were both entertaining and educational. It's crazy to think how different our country was when our parents and grandparents were growing up. My dad was my age when this photo was taken. It is a historically iconic photo but it is also a good example of the elements & principals of design (balance, rhythm, contrast, and color-if you know what I mean).

 Ansel Adams
 Rails and Jet Trails
My first exposure to Ansel Adams was when I first moved to Utah. I lived in my oldest sister's basement for the first two months. On her wall as you're walking down the stairs is a big Ansel Adams landscape print. Since then he has always stood out to me as one of the best American landscape photographers. I love the theme of industry coexisting with nature, Adams does a good job of depicting this in "Rails and Jet Trails".

 Evan Thompson 
Untitled
I found this guy just while working on this assignment. He does a lot of urban photography. I love it when photographers do stuff that is out of the ordinary. This would be a good photograph even without the legs hanging from the top but when you add that in it makes it stand out from your average photography. I love art that poses a question or makes you think.
 Lewis Hine 
Power house mechanic working on steam pump
Lewis Hine is known for documenting childhood labor around the turn of the century. His photography was not only artistic but served a purpose. His depictions were instrumental in changing childhood labor laws in the early 1900s.

Charles C Ebbets
Rockefeller Beam Workers Lunch
Not as famous as the well known "Lunch atop a skyscraper" counterpart, this photo has always fascinated me and demonstrates one principal of good photography: courage to go where the other photographers wont go. Ebbets is thought to be the photographer here but know one really knows.

2 comments: