Tuesday, December 31, 2013

3D Design


3D

Another semester has come and gone at UVU and this may have been the most fun semester when it comes to art projects. My Intro to Graphic design class and Typography class were interesting but the real fun happened in my Sculpture and 3D design classes. 2 separate classes but taught by the same guy Jason Millward (check out his amazing facebook page: Millward fine art and design). Jason was a great teacher and made the semester really fun. In the 3D class we did everything from wire sculpture to paper sculpture to carving alabaster. In the Sculpture class we focused on a clay portrait (bust), a relief sculpture, and a plaster carving. 3D artwork is something i've never really done besides like arts and crafts in grade school so it really tickled my imagination and let my creativity run wild. My first project was a wire toilet and my second a blue banana made of mat board. I also got to do an oral report on Michelangelo Buonarroti one of my favorite artists of all time. This post documents my projects and is a shout out to Jason Millward to thank him for being a great teacher of the arts. I'll be adding a new 3D tab to the blog now.


Foundation for clay bust (newspaper and masking tape)
Clay skull (to get proper proportions and facial structure, Jason had us model a skull first to get a basic idea of the anatomy of the human head.)
Scoty. I decided I wanted to sculpt a person who would stand out and look different than all the other portraits my classmates would make. So I chose my best friend Scoty who had his left eye shot with a roman candle when he was 16 years old. He obviously is a lot more handsome in real life but I thought this was pretty good for my first time sculpting.

I was trying to decide between a bunch of different colors. I did the blue first because I figured it was light enough that I could paint over it with out it being noticed. I decided Scoty isn't blue so I sanded him down and used a metallic black paint instead; this made it look a little more classic and proffesional. 




This piece is dedicated to my missionary companion Victor Unga. Unga is a talented artist and did a pencil drawing of him and his companion walking with two Nephite wariors walking behind them (Ammon and Teancum). Jason asked us to do something meaningful and symbolic for our relief sculptures. My mission was one of the most influential 2 years of my life. This image symbolizes the help the lords missionaries get from the other side of the veil and the strength that comes from the scriptures. 
When I finished the clay relief and fired it I really didn't like the way it turned out but then I had the Idea to make it look bronze. I love the way it turned out. Unga still gets all the credit for this one.
"I made the duck blue, because I've never seen a blue duck before, and to tell you the truth I really just wanted to see a blue duck." -Billy Maddison
Abstract car from alabaster
Stone was hand-picked from southern Utah by Jason Millward


Clay Maquette for my plaster carving.

The goal was to exaggerate the key characteristics of the animal.
Final plaster gorilla with base. I kinda thought it looked like the mom from Tarzan.



Here's the finished Scoty.





Happy Newyear!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done junx! It will be nice to be able to look back on these after the years go by. And we enjoy checking out your creativity. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete