Sunday, February 23, 2014

Old Artwork

Since getting married and moving into our own place we've quickly realized that storage space is limited in our little apartment and we will not be able to keep our stuff in our parents homes for ever. In our spare bedroom I have a whole corner filled with old binders and sketchbooks full of old artwork. Amanda has been after me to get rid of some of it because it is a lot of clutter. I'm an organization freak so I agreed that we should get rid of it but not until I scanned in every single piece and saved a digital copy. Every artist can look back at their old work and think of how bad they used to be but at the same time it was still a lot of work and it documents how you got to where you are today. I always used to say that if our house burned down the first thing I would grab is my binders full of sketches. I'm still far from finishing scanning everything in but I figured I would share a few tid bits of what I've done so far and create a new tab for old stuff. These date from seventh grade (2002) to my senior year in high school (2008). Enjoy.
 In honor of the Timpview High School Hacky Sack Club and the entire high school experience. I started this in my independent study art class I took from Ms. Wood. Half way through my senior year I found out that I didn't get excepted to BYU so I dropped the math class I was taking and took an independent art class. The only reason I was taking the math class was to fulfill a requirement for BYU admission. It was really my first experiment with stencils and spray paint. It is a traced version of one of my senior pictures. I actually didn't finish it until after I graduated. I donated it to Ms. Wood's classroom while I was on my mission and then I came back and picked it up when I got home. Shout out to Toni Wood the best art teacher in the world!
 When I was in high school I invented my own clothing brand called Rutland named after the street I grew up on as a kid (E. Rutland). The logo appears in the upper right hand corner and the brand slogan was reach for the stars. Dumb, I know.
 Also, while I was a stupid kid in high school I invented this imaginary group called "the society of punk kids" or SPK. I did a series of drawings (probably while I should have been paying attention in pre-calculus) about the emotions of rebellious teenage kids. The SPK logo was supposed to be a symbol for a stuck up middle finger, the supreme expression of defiance. I know, it's retarded.
 "M2" or "M squared" was something my older brother made up in high school that stood for "mormon mafia". He was one of three mormon boys in his high school in detroit and this is how they chose to represent themselves. My twin brother and I were 2 of 4 mormon kids in our middle school so we thought it was cool.
 An elephant.

 Skate brand logos. The only thing that was important in high school.
 Reference to Billy Madison.
 Business card project I did in my high school "multimedia productions" class.
 Nature.
 I'm not sure what art class or what grade this was from.
 Dave Creer's Auto Cad Class.
 My favorite animal

 My favorite High School english teacher.
 The Cheat.




 I used to watch saturday morning cartoons and there was a time when robotic animals and Gundam Wing and stuff like that was a fad. I think this is a manifestation of that.
 Black paper sketch book my sister Kristin got me for Christmas one year.
 7th grade art class: 1 point perspective
 7th grade art class: Negative space
Art Merit Badge: Invention (merit badge counsellors at this particular powwow were James Christiansen and Greg Olson!)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I loved the "Skate brand logos. The only thing that was important in high school." That made me laugh. I actually remember you guys doing a lot of these. You're really good, Matt!!

    ReplyDelete