Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Geneva Project

The Geneva Project
A Tribute to American Industry

     Every Monday and Wednesday I work in Pleasant Grove and then have school at 4:00 PM. At the beginning of the semester I discovered that Geneva Road was the fastest route because of the freeway construction and heavy rush hour traffic. Over the course of the semester I've enjoyed traveling this road that I have not otherwise used very often. 
     Geneva Road is the heart of industry in Utah Valley. It was once the home of Geneva Steel, A steel mill built during World War Two to aid in national steel production. For decades the plant was a huge factor in helping Utah's growing economy. In 2001 the plant's assets were liquidated and most of the equipment was sold to a steel company in China. Many of the parts were also used in building the Timpanogos Harly Davidson Outlet which is located across the street from the site of the old steel mill.
     Today the road is home to many of Utah County's small industrial businesses. I love reading the signs on the little shops as I drive by: "Hub Cap World", "Dino's Sandblasting", and "Duane's Auto Wrecking" just to name a few. America's economic success has come much from invention, innovation, and industry. Who knows where industry will take us but regardless Geneva Road will always be a reminder of the American Dream.
     Throughout the semester I've found my own style of photography. You can see it in everyone of my assignments. I like crisp clear images with the contrast cranked up. I lean towards close ups at extreme angles. I love the effect of a short depth of field. I love using the rule of thirds but as you can see I also find interest in centralized compositions. I think black and white photography has it's purposes but I think color adds so much to what a photograph can communicate. I like the vignetting as gimmicky as it is, it helps you focus on the subject. 
     The photos in this project are meant to communicate the culture of industrialism and blue collar workers that is present on Geneva Road and throughout our country. Each photograph was intended to illustrate strength, hard work, elegance, durability, and patriotism. The collection also poses the question: is industry a good thing or a bad thing, are we moving forwards or backwards? You Decide!
     Enjoy.
The Dream
 Holding Hands
Surviving Progress
 How Far We've Come... And Yet.
 Geneva
 Adaptation
 Tree and Stones
 Slip
 Home of the Tradesman
 Primary
 Infinite Inovation 
 Stink, Stank, Stunk
 Sphinx
All American Muscle
 Work, Ngaue, Trabaho 
 Patriotic
 Tribute to Wallace
 Bomber
 Coni's Framing and Floral

Geneva Liquid Nitrogen Plant, E.T. wants his spaceship back!

No comments:

Post a Comment